Milonic provide full featured pull down web menus for some of the worlds largest companies
click here to see what it can do for you

Download Milonic DHTML Menu
Buy Milonic DHTML Menu

Back To Start Of Archive
Taken From The Forum: Help & Support for DHTML Menu Version 5+
Forum Topic: Click to view post
Last Updated: Saturday July 14 2012 - 06:07:29

3 little issues

Poster: bmeine
Dated: Thursday October 6 2005 - 20:41:06 BST

I don't have any examples I can link to so hopefully I can explain this well enough. We will go live with the site next week (10-14-2005) so if there are still problems I will post back.

The first one is more of an annoyance problem because it isn't likely to be accidently reproduced.

Ok, first problem is in Firefox. I have a horizontal menu across the top of the page which works. I have an IFrame on the page and a submenu happens to overlap the IFrame which for the most part is fine. Using the mouse cursor I follow the submenu down to the final item and SLOWLY move off of the submenu at the base and over the IFrame and as soon as the cursor changes from the hand to the normal pointer I stop moving the mouse for a few seconds. I now can move the cursor around the page without the submenu disappearing unless I move the cursor over another part of the menu. Like I said, not a big deal, but I thought ya'll would like to know.

This next problem is in IE. Again, it involves the horizontal menu across the top. When moving the cursor over the main items from right to left everything seems to work fine. When I change direction it is almost like the divs/layers around the main items have shifted, but the actual menu items stayed in place. Example: Moving cursor from left to right over the main menu items - the submenu will not display for an item until the cursor has made it 1/4, 1/2 or even 3/4 the way over the item the submenu belongs to. Now I said the different distances because it seems to vary based on window size. The larger I have the browser window the smaller the offset seems to be.

The final problem is both IE and Firefox, but slightly different.
For IE: The status text that I set doesn't display for the main menu items, just the urls like normal, but the submenu's status text displays fine.
For Firefox: The status text doesn't seem to display for any item.

I know it is hard to get a handle on the problem without being able to see it, but was hoping one of these may have been resolved previously and I just missed it. Thanks for any help that can be given.

Poster: bmeine
Dated: Thursday October 6 2005 - 20:53:56 BST


It seems that the IE offset issue and the status text not displaying for main items are somewhat related. When moving cursor from left to right over main items and it gets over the part of the item that triggers the submenu (again, the varying offset from the visible item), it also shows the status text. So, if I can fix problem #2 I should have #3 fixed (for IE anyways).

Site now live

Poster: bmeine
Dated: Thursday October 13 2005 - 20:59:04 BST

Ok, now you can see what it is doing. I have taken the status change off for now so the only problem is when moving the mouse left to right over the horizontal main menu in IE only. I have my resolution at 1280x1024 so you may or may not see what I am seeing at different resolutions. Go to using IE and follow these steps:

1. Maximize the browser window (Again, some of the following may only happen at my resolution).
2. Position mouse in left most part of page within the white space above the top banner.
3. Move mouse to the right slowly until you have nearly reached the right browser border. While moving the mouse take note of any submenus that don't show until the mouse pointer is about in the middle (give or take) of the main menu item. Also, while over the whitespace at the right near the right border notice that it may give a cursor as if you were over a link.
4. If you did not see anything wrong then slightly decrease the width of your browser window and repeat steps 2-4 (You may need to keep resizing in small increments until the menu fits the width of the page before you see any problems).

I hope this made sense and that someone can at least repeat this so ya'll know I'm not crazy. Then maybe show me what I did wrong or verify that it is a bug. Thanks for any assistance.

Poster: Andy
Dated: Thursday October 13 2005 - 22:18:35 BST

Couple of things you should try.

The menu at the moment is sitting inside a DIV which in turn is inside a FORM, this is causing some conflicts so would be better if you can move the menu out of any HTML objects and have it positioned as objects on its own.

Also, try removing the position="relative"; property, your style sheets are causing conflicts too.

I tried the above and it seemed to fix the problem

Hope this helps,

Poster: bmeine
Dated: Monday October 17 2005 - 18:05:20 BST

It worked! Thanks for the help.