Milonic provide full featured pull down web menus for some of the worlds largest companies
click here to see what it can do for you

Download Milonic DHTML Menu
Buy Milonic DHTML Menu

Back To Start Of Archive
Taken From The Forum: Help & Support for DHTML Menu Version 5+
Forum Topic: Click to view post
Last Updated: Saturday July 14 2012 - 06:07:46

IE 5.0 - 5.2 on Mac problem with external js file

Poster: somorgujo
Dated: Wednesday January 28 2004 - 17:38:25 GMT

Hi Folks !

Here a problem I encounter migrating to version 5:

I had a beautyfully working menu on his version 3 on PC and IE 5 onwards, but my client requested me recently to support more browsers specially on the mac area.
So I though it would be a great idea to upgrade to version 5 since it seems to consume a lot less CPU on Netscape 6.2 on PC, just to make happy everyone ;)
But when doing that and testing I found a very awkward problem in IE 5.0 running on a mac with OS 9.1 and the same on other machine running OS X and IE 5.2.
I have a top menu that features a rollover functionality for that I use an external javascript file that Andy provided me almost 2 years ago when I first purchased the license for the menu, first I noticed that the menu wasn't appearing on the mentionated browsers so I started debugging the code to finally found what IE Mac doesn't like specially, is the fact that the code for the rollover is on a external file.
I get an error saying "ung├╝ltiges Zeichen", sorry I'm in switzerland. It means something like invalid sign, and it would not dissapear until I get the code inline on the same page.
Now the question, is there any possibility to get avoid this?

the URL to see this is: ... rking.html ... roken.html


Poster: John
Dated: Wednesday January 28 2004 - 19:16:57 GMT

Don't have a Mac here at work to see the failure, but there a few things to try.

First, try taking all the menu JS call lines (inside your <!-- test new milonic dropdown menu version 5 --> comments) and move them out of the <head> and to the first items after <body>.

Remove all the style1=[ code from the top of your _data file. It's the old version code, and you're not using it, anyway.

Each of your aI statements should have a closing ; . You have...
aI("text=About Syngenta;showmenu=aboutsyngenta;")

It should be...
aI("text=About Syngenta;showmenu=aboutsyngenta;");

Note the final added ; at the end of the line.

Also, you're a bit down-level, so try an upgrade.

Maybe somebody else will get a chance to look at it on a Mac before I get home tonight.

solved !! ;-)

Poster: somorgujo
Dated: Thursday January 29 2004 - 9:49:45 GMT

The problem was that the external fiile with the javascript for the rollover function was encoded as UTF-8, thing IE for mac doesn't like at all.
So be aware of UTF encoded files and IE for MAC !!