Milonic provide full featured pull down web menus for some of the worlds largest companies
click here to see what it can do for you

Download Milonic DHTML Menu
Buy Milonic DHTML Menu

Back To Start Of Archive
Taken From The Forum: Help & Support for DHTML Menu Version 5+
Forum Topic: Click to view post
Last Updated: Saturday July 14 2012 - 06:07:13

Menu Items URLs

Poster: biographie
Dated: Thursday August 26 2004 - 16:32:17 BST

I just updated to the latest version, and I seem to be experiencing a problem. When I am checking my website over on my local machine, and I pick a menu item I get a dialog box saying that the file does not exsist. If I remember correctly, before we had a variable we could set to the local working directory to keep the links working while testing before upload. Let me layout what I currently have.

Using a Mac with OS X 10.3.5 with the latest version of Safari

website under directory my_website:


the menu files (including the menu_data.js) are under the jscripts directory:


I want to make a menu item with a url to a page in the general directory:


When I test the page, and select the menu item, the dialog says:

File does not exsist

If I go and back out the path based on where the menu_data.js file is:


I still get a dialog, but this time it says:

File does not exsist

It seems to forget the my_website directory between the .name directory and the general directory.

I know this is something probably very simple, but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Things worked just fine in pervious versions.

Poster: udi
Dated: Friday August 27 2004 - 21:32:39 BST

I haven't double checked this, but I think if you just get rid of the leading forward slash you'll be fine.

Change: url=/general/equipment.html
To: url=general/equipment.html

Hope that helps

Poster: John
Dated: Saturday August 28 2004 - 17:58:42 BST

Does the same setup work OK on your server?

Unless your local setup exactly matches that of your server (assuming the server setup works), you will get this type of error. Something has apparently changed locally (I doubt the menu itself would cause this).

As for removing the leading / - I wouldn't. Stick with server-relative addressing (which ../../ is not).


Poster: biographie
Dated: Saturday August 28 2004 - 20:15:32 BST

OK, well I got ahead of myself. You are both right. Taking out the / made everything work again when I was testing locally. I don't have my Mac setup exactly like my ISP. I just try to test the pages from GoLive. But everything works just fine once I upload it to the server with the / in place. I guess I will just keep two copies of the menu_data file (one with /; one without).

I do have another question about the menu, but I will start it in another thread.